Saturday, January 07, 2006

You Can't Fool Me with a Gravel Driveway


It's amazing how when you subconsciously do not want to do something that you find a hundred little jobs that need doing just to avoid the inevitable. This Saturday morning was no different, I arranged the wooden spoons in size order in the drawer, threw out all the spent matches in the match box that lives behind the candles.

Our appointment was 11:30am at Flitwick Manor, to meet the wedding co-ordinator and be thrilled by the unrivalled package of wedding services they could offer.

The real benefit to me of having Sat-Nav installed in the car, is not that I can drive straight to any location in Europe guided by the dulcet tones of 'Sat-Nav-Bird', it's the fact that the system will actually tell me how late I am going to be. I'm nearly always late for stuff, but now I can ring ahead with confidence and state "I am 12.7 miles away which means I will me 27 minnutes late for our meeting". If you're going to be late, it's best to be late with confidence.

As it turned out we were only 5 minutes late for our appointment, although it may be the fashion of the day for brides to be a little late at the ceremony, the look on the face of the wedding co-ordinator told me that it wasn't fashionable to be late for appointments with her.

We started our tour of this micro-stately-home, and within minutes, knew that this was not going to be the real deal. With a main ceremony/reception room about twice the size of my lounge and a bar the size of a small kitchen worktop with no draught beers, we smiled politely, said we'd be in touch and left.

I had hoped that choosing a wedding venue would be simple and that we could literally book the first place we saw, after all we had done over 45 minutes research on the internet to find the ideal venue. We both felt a bit deflated by this, not that we were going to give up easily, just that we were annoyed that we were going to have to put some more effort into this 'getting married' thing.

At times like this, when a couple need that special something to lift their spirits, I like to think that I have a few tricks up my sleeve to put the sparkle back into Pippa's eye. So we called into the local garden centre and purchased a bird feeder and a mega value pack of bird seed. It did the trick, we had a new common interest and a short term goal, get home fill bird feeder hang in tree and wait for the tits & robins to come a flocking.

Feeding wild birds is not all it's cracked up to be, three days that bird feeder hung from the branch before the first feathered diner decided to drop in for a sunflower seed snack. I felt disappointed again, so I decided to achieve something - I washed out the wheelie bin with bleach and boiling water - I felt better.

No comments: